Summer is a great time to experience the beauty of Northern Minnesota. The temperatures are warm—an ideal break from our long and frigid winters—the lakes offer the perfect place to stay cool, and the Minnesota Northwoods are filled with places to explore. Whether you’re looking to take your family on a fun vacation, get away from your kids for a relaxing and romantic time, or get together with friends for a fun getaway, Northern Minnesota is for you!
Where do you begin when planning your trip? Do your research! If you’re starting with this post, here are a few things to think about when planning a summer trip to the Minnesota Northwoods!
The Best Time to Plan and Book
Summer is fast approaching, so there’s no time like the present to book your trip. Planning a Northern Minnesota vacation can really happen at any time, even years in advance, but booking your trip is an entirely different matter. The best time to book your summer trip is sometime in the late winter and early spring—between the months of February and May (at the latest) is the ideal time. Some of the things that may come into play when deciding when to book your vacation include:
- How much notice you need to give at your job.
- The number of people who will be going: if you’re working with multiple families, friends, etc., make sure everyone has enough time to plan and weigh in on the best times that work for them.
- Whether you are flying or not, booking flights early can become necessary as the summer is a peak travel season for airlines.
- Where you are planning on staying and what you are planning on doing: reservation at some hotels, resorts, and events can fill up quickly depending on their size and the demand for them.
The earlier you plan and book your trip, the better!
Where to Go, What to See, and Things to Do
Northern Minnesota is big, and there’s a lot to see and do during the summer season. There are lakes, hiking, biking, fishing, and plenty of smaller towns to explore. There are two schools of thought to vacation planning: “playing it by ear” and “planning, planning, planning!” If you’re the planning type, take a look at the area where you will be staying. Look for:
- The lakes in the area
- The types of fish in each lake (if you want to fish)
- The resorts and hotels on those lakes
- The local hiking and biking trails
- Popular sightseeing locations nearby
- How far you will have to travel to get to each (plan out your days in advance)
As an example, here are six things we recommend everyone do when you stay at Sugar Lake Lodge. For a closer look at what to do in Grand Rapids, see this quick guide.
If you’re one of those people who like to talk about getting away, but can’t ever seem to plan a trip, this is your year to break that horrible habit! Before you know it, it’ll be too late, and the spring and summer will be gone. Don’t let time get away from you. Set a plan, stick to it, and book your vacation before it’s too late.
Your next great vacation is closer than you think. Book a trip to Sugar Lake Lodge today.